Monday 11 May 2015

Philippe Coutinho: The secret life of 'O Mágico'

Image result for Philippe Coutinho: The secret life of 'O Mágico'

Philippe Coutinho had impatiently waited, and it was finally time. Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers pulled out a letter in the home dressing room on April 13 last year, with Manchester City occupying the opposite quarters, and revealed the words he was about to read were penned by the Brazilian's mother.
That was to be the last communication the players heard before taking to the Anfield turf, an unconventional approach, but one that had inspired the side to an unexpected and riveting Premier League run.
"I was so anxious for it to be my turn, for the manager to read the letter from my Mum," Coutinho admits to CNN Sport. "I waited and waited for it. The manager had spoken to the mothers of every player in the team, he'd been reading a message before every game for months and finally my turn had come."
It is a miserable May afternoon at Liverpool's Melwood training ground, the sky clouded a dark shade of grey, drenching those below with stubborn showers.

A letter from Coutinho's Mum before last season's game against Manchester City inspired the Brazilian to a barnstorming display.

In a room on the complex's upper tier, Coutinho watches the rain fall as he recounts a different pouring -- one of emotion.
"At first, I didn't know that the manager would be reading a letter from her, then he mentioned her name and I was really overwhelmed," he continues. "It said she loved me, is proud of me, is always with me and missing me.
"There was more, but those are just the words I needed to hear. It filled me up. The other players were also really moved because every week, regardless of whose mother it was with the message, we were all inspired and emotional.
"We were getting really strong, powerful words and it pushed us so much."
Coutinho turned in a titanic performance that day when Liverpool dared to dream of the title, netting the winner in an epic 3-2 encounter -- a strike which Luis Suarez selected as the goal of the season for 2013/14 in his autobiography, "Crossing the Line.

No comments:

Post a Comment